To-Shin Do training leads to the ability to live life fully, fearlessly, and freely.The martial arts were developed as a way to promote peace, security, and well-being in the world – command over adversity – never as a way to practice violence. The world needs more protectors, not more predators.
In an over-stressed society, balancing a clear mind, fit body, and centered spirit is the pathway to becoming a tatsujin – a fully actualized person operating masterfully in all areas of life.
Truly “Japan’s original Mixed Martial Art”, ninja-inspired To-Shin Do is a reality-focused system that features training in techniques and strategies for:
- Grappling, throwing, choking and joint locking
- Striking, kicking, and punching
- Self defense when pulled to the ground
- Stick, blade, cord, and projectile defense
- Gun disarms and safety
- Knife and cane defenses
- Successfully handling multiple assailants and surprise attacks
- Overcoming psychological intimidation or bullying
Beyond basic training that leads to Black Belt in To-Shin Do are optional studies including:
- Survival methods for hostile environments
- Security protection for dignitaries
- How to instruct classes and run a school
- Classical Japanese weapons
- Meditation mind sciences
We offer a modern approach to personal defense and the inner power that makes life work well, based on ancient protector disciplines passed down from noble Japanese samurai and ninja warrior families.
Give yourself and your family the gift of empowered self-esteem and the ability to succeed in any situation or environment.
When you study To-Shin Do®, you learn practical, intelligent self-defense in a fun, safe atmosphere while getting a great workout.
You will find our school an up-lifting place to spend time with friends who share your commitment to personal advancement.
Life enhancing benefits from To-Shin Do training
• Spirit of adventure
• Increased focus and effectiveness
• Invigorating personal challenge
• Skills of personal discipline
• Good health and fitness
• Increased energy
• More options for successful choices in life
• Practical self-defense skills
• Sense of peace and security
• Heightened sense of self-confidence
• Network of new and interesting friends
• Improved ability to communicate clearly and directly
• Momentum of achievement in all you do
• Family closeness…
…for couples – or parents training with children
• …and it’s a lot of fun getting to feel so good!
Life Mastery Through Martial Arts
- Adventure-based leadership development
Training for mastery in all forms of conflict is at the heart of To-Shin Do.
More than merely teaching techniques to memorize, we focus on developing the whole person.
You learn adaptive strategic principles along with the tactics, so you can practice how to take command in times of confusion, confrontation, or discouragement.
We cover everything an effective leader needs to know — powerfully bringing resolution when others may want conflict or contention, making a good first impression to attract allies and friends, managing difficult relationships, and gaining top-notch presentation skills.
“Fear of failure made me my own worst enemy. Now I feel energized in the morning, ready to go and anxious to get something good done … maybe by reading the right book or building my personal network or winning at my job. Just like in my martial arts training, I no longer fear the ‘what-ifs’ of life.” - Chuck Maier, age 41, 2 years of To-Shin Do training
To-Shin Do Founder An-shu Stephen K. Hayes
The most authentic martial arts master imaginable
To-Shin Do® was founded by world-renowned Black Belt Hall of Fame member Stephen K. Hayes. He and his wife Rumiko have taken the samurai and ninja secrets they studied in Japan and adapted them for success in 21st century society. He is:
- Author of 20 books
- Ambassador of Togakure Ryu Ninjutsu in the West
- University adjunct professor
- Apprentice in the home of the grandmaster of the ninja in Japan
- Bodyguard for Nobel Peace Prize laureate the Dalai Lama of Tibet
- Referred to by Black Belt Magazine as “One of the 10 most influential martial artists alive in the world today.”
Visionary martial arts take you to the mastery you seek!
To-Shin Do training is built upon intelligent, scientific responses to high-probability attacks. Our complete self-protection curriculum teaches students of all ages the best ways to protect self and others by providing careful, interactive instruction in how to win against assaults we are most likely to encounter. Training is safe, exciting and fun, and takes place in a positive and inspiring environment.
Evolved from the body, mind, and spirit technologies from 3 mountain peaks in Japan, To-Shin Do martial arts training is the ultimate in self-protection and awakened living!
TO – the sword
Mt. Togakure ninja warrior personal combat strategies
cultivated in the mountains and marshes of Iga in Japan over 800 years ago
SHIN – the focused spirit of intention
Mt. Yoshino kuji-kiri rigorous intention channeling
to develop nine key powers that characterize fully actualized living
DO – the path to mastery
Mt. Hiei and Himalayan mind-spirit sciences form the master’s path
to cultivating physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual power
To-Shin Do is our contemporary evolution of ninjutsu – what ninja hand-to-hand combat training from 1500s Japan looks like in 21st Century America. Obviously, fights are different in modern America than they were five hundred years ago in old Japan. An-Shu Stephen K. Hayes’ genius is his ability to interpret historical classics in ways that allow us to apply the essence to today’s challenges. To-Shin Do is designed to get you going quickly in learning effective useful self-defense. But the underlying principles and tactics of the original ninja combat method are all there, even in your first lessons. As your belt color grows darker, you own increasingly more of the historical skills.
Far more than conventional self-defense
Bridging the gap between the timeless wisdom of the East and the fresh pragmatism of the West, An-shu Stephen K. Hayes’ visionary martial art of To-Shin Do extends beyond physical self-defense skills to explore the fullness of human potential and methods to foster emotional and spiritual well-being.
Learn to take command of the inner and outer challenges of life!
We approach life mastery through martial arts with a carefully developed 3-fold set of disciplines:
1. Physical Training to gain a sense of peace, security and safety in life
2. Intellectual Study to understand how to find safety and success
3. Intensive Exploration to actualize your human spirit in the world
Energize 5 specific areas of power in life
To-Shin Do martial arts self development promotes 5 life-fulfilling aspects each of us desires to experience:
1. Abundance – Authority to live your own definition of success – a full, rich, and important life, seeing the value of all that surrounds you
2. Authenticity – Knowledge of your own true nature – realizing personal peace through intelligence, seeing things as they truly are
3. Association – Connection to friends, family, and allies – expressing who you really are and sharing respect and admiration with others
4. Accomplishment – A sense that you are needed – serving a worthy and noble cause way bigger than you as an individual
5. Actualization – Personal fulfillment – time and space to live up to your expectations and dreams and see the big picture of how precious life is
3 steps to success where others find frustration
The SKH Quest Center mission is to provide our community with a vibrant inspiring place with skilled motivating instructors teaching To-Shin Do personal-development personal-defense systems.
Students enroll in our training center and use our books and DVD programs to learn advanced technologies that lead to achieving fullest potential in life.
Our To-Shin Do martial arts programs empower adults and children alike to:
• Recognize that advancement is possible, and then…
• Apply the technologies, in order to…
• Achieve the freedom of personal fulfillment
3 Special Keys for Building Personal Power
We encourage our students to earn whatever their definition of success by emphasizing through To-Shin Do personal-development personal-defense training the importance of:
• Confidence – “I can do this!” – key to unleashing your potential for happiness and success
• Discipline – “This is worth doing!” – key to building a momentum of accomplishment
• Respect for self and others – “Great mentors and guides!” – key to attracting allies and power
We invite you to join us in training to live more fully and more richly in the here and now.
Better health, higher fitness, increased mental and emotional clarity, new friends, renewed sense of taking a stand in life, and a lot of adventure experiences await you.
To-Shin Do Schools Around the World
An-shu Stephen K. Hayes’ SKH Quest network of affiliate training centers reaches from Africa to Arizona to Australia. If you have to move to a new city, take your belt and diploma with you and continue your training where you left off.
All of An-shu Stephen K. Hayes’ teaching affiliates rely on the same great curriculum and award the same impressive diplomas for each belt, so your training accomplishments will be recognized by all authorized To-Shin Do instructors around the world. Check the full listing of our Licensed Affiliate Instructors.
View Stephen K. Hayes Quest Affiliate Network in a larger map